Monday, September 5, 2011

Favorite Summer Memories

There's definitely just a little more than a hint of fall in the air this morning, and that feeling coupled with the calendar date (September 5, 2011) makes me feel a little bit wistful.

Are there sights and sounds that remind you of certain seasons? 

dannylipford.com
I recall one warm, spring day in gradeschool.  It was a crisp day.  Cool, but had a tinge of warmth just around the edges to tease you about the balmy summer days yet to come.  The classroom windows were open, and we could hear other kids on the playground whose teachers had allowed an extra recess.  Random, joyful sounds were heard as the other kids ran by the windows. 
The sunlight was bright through the windows, making the paper on our desks look a hot neon-white in its glare.

Then, I heard the sound of a lawnmower rumble into life.

Shortly afterward, I could smell that freshly cut greenness of the grass and I just knew that summer was already there - it didn't matter that it was still early June, and that it wasn't shorts and t-shirt weather yet.  Hearing a lawnmower and smelling the freshly cut grass was enough for me to know that it was already summer.

How about you?  What sights and sounds tell you, despite the date on the calendar, that your favorite season is coming?

4 comments:

  1. For me there are a number of things.
    1. The first ship coming down the Detroit River. Typically this is in March.
    2. The first crack of the bat at Comerica Park. Although lately, I've only been going to one game there.
    3. The first crack of the bat at Oestrike Stadium. College baseball season starts early but they will start playing games home when it warms up, typically in March or April.
    4. Not a requisite...but the first Oberon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite season just went. I went on a cruise with my family last week, and that trip allowed me to tell myself it was still summer. I got back to my home in northeast Florida yesterday. It was only 80 degrees and raining hard. All the summer guests have gone home. Summer's officially over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted you to know I am missing you.

    Last post in September.

    I hope everything I wrote in the intro for your #TWITS post in up to date. I hope everything is okay for you and your family. I know this last year has been a challenging one for you.

    I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete